When you have carpets and rugs in your home, vacuuming is something that becomes inseparable. No matter how careful you are, your rug is more likely to predispose dirt. Therefore, to vacuum a rug is different from vacuuming and cleaning other things. If you are thinking of vacuuming the rug like you vacuum any other thing, rethink.
Moreover, there is a certain way to vacuum a rug, if you follow that you will be cleaning it thoroughly and more effectively. Before vacuum your rug or carpet you need to know that every rug has a different style of knitting and making. Our delicate and expensive rugs demand extra care. Therefore, use the vacuum accordingly. So, before wasting any more time have a look at the below mentioned main points.
Make Room In Your Room
Certainly, before you start cleaning the initial step always involves gathering all the scattered things. Pick up all the essentials which do not demand to be vacuumed like toys, cushions, books if your kids like to sit on carpets, pet’s beds, and more. Make sure you have packed everything and create enough space for the vacuum to move freely. Creating enough room for cleaning will allow you to slide your vacuum in multi-direction and that too freely.
Types Of Rugs
The wise cleaning would be to know what type of rug you are cleaning. The variety of carpets and rugs made it somehow a task to vacuum it. However, by knowing and having a little knowledge you can clean it perfectly. Use the right vacuum for each type of your rug and carpet. Moreover, you cannot treat all the rugs in the same way. The choice of vacuum and the way you are vacuuming differ from each other.
Tufted Wool Rug
Tufted wool rugs have hazy fuzz on its surface which is likely to shed all over. Therefore to vacuum, this type of rug needs to be done in a careful manner. For tufted rugs, an upright vacuum would be a wise choice. Go for the vacuum with a power brush head which can be turned off when needed. However, if you have a wool rug with a thin build, consider an upholstery tool. This would be better for a high pile rug. To vacuum a delicate rug, like silk or wool, always opt for an upholstery tool. A beater brush cannot clean the soft tussle more accurately than an upholstery tool would do. You should clean this kind of rug 2-4 times a month so get the finest cleanliness.
High Pile Shag Rug
A high pile shag rug always takes time to get properly cleaned and vacuumed. The dirt easily gets in and clings to its long threads. Using upholstery attachment for a high pile shag rug is better besides, it will clean it deeply. When you can also take the help of your friends and family members, using the right vacuum is also important. First of all, do the dusting part. This way you can take out the excess dirt and junk. Now, carefully turn the rug upside down and start vacuuming. Moreover, if you have a high pile shag rug use a wet/dry vacuum cleaner for best results. In addition to that, take the service of professionals if you feel it’s become a bit challenging to vacuum your shag rug.
Knotted rugs have knots and ends of thread at the back. Therefore, it’s difficult to clean it without proper guidance. So, if you want to vacuum a knotted rug, which is usually hand-knitted, the rug has knots behind it. Therefore, go for an upright vacuum to have nice and smooth cleaning.
While cleaning is an obvious thing when you see dirt, but for rugs made up of wool, you need to do it on a weekly basis. Vacuum the rug in the direction of the pile and you will notice a considerable amount of dirt has been gathered throughout. Besides, frequently vacuuming also makes your rug durable and long-lasting. The outlook remains new for a long time. The more you keep it dirt-free the more it will be beneficial.
Vacuum In The Direction Of The Pile
The direction is a very important factor when it comes to cleaning the rug. If you vacuum the rug in the direction of your rug’s pile it would be better and hence outputs great cleanliness. If you vacuum clean your rug perpendicularly in the direction of the pile you will draw maximum dirt and have a perfectly cleaned rug for your next use. The direction is a very important factor when it comes to cleaning the rug. If you vacuum the rug in the direction of your rug’s pile it would be better and hence outputs great cleanliness. If you vacuum clean your rug perpendicularly in the direction of the pile you will draw maximum dirt and have a perfectly cleaned rug for your next use.
Vacuum A Handmade Rug
Rugs made by hand are often delicate. Moreover, we do not want to ruin the design. Shuffle and shake the rug outside and then bring it inside. Gently vacuum for about half an hour. Also, vacuum underneath the rug and. Flip the rug and vacuum each and every side. Be careful of the tassels and fringes. Make sure you do not pull any thread in the machine.
Turn The Rug Upside Down
As we know rugs and carpets attract more dirt than your bed sheet does. Therefore vacuuming only from the upside is not enough you need something extra to do in order to clean it deeply. What you need to do is turn your carpet upside down and start to vacuum it. Besides, if you want to vacuum a rug which has been made with extreme delicacy, use nozzle attachments to tackle the dirt.
Vacuum The Rug After Short Intervals
It depends upon how much time you spend on your carpet or rug. If you use it carefully, vacuum it on a weekly basis. Keep an eye on the activity on the rug and vacuum accordingly.
Tips And Tricks To Vacuum A Rug
- If you have a pet around, you must have to come across with the hair! In fact, it sometimes becomes an annoying task. To get rid of a pet’s hair use a brush prior to vacuuming. A soft brush will prevent your rug from getting torn and damaged.
- Brush away all the pet hair and then start vacuuming. Moreover, if you have a cat or dog that sheds a lot keep bruising the rug more often and maintain a routine of vacuuming to keep it clean.
- Move your furniture for its regular place when you start cleaning. In fact, for deep and thorough cleaning you need to move your furniture every month so that the impressions of dirt will not leave a permanent strain of dirt on your rug.
- Use rug pads to increase the lifespan of the rug. This will extend the quality of the area rug and absorb any indented wear and tear. Using a rug pad will keep it soft on your feet if you are using it on a hard surface. Besides, these pads will prevent tripping incidents by keeping friction under control.
- When you start vacuuming the rug make sure you have set it on the rug setting for better output. Move the vacuum slowly to draw every single mote of dirt and roll the vacuum in every direction.
- Keep your vacuum canister empty. An empty bag or canister has good airflow therefore you get through suction.
- Always make sure to pay heed to the spots. When in case any liquid spills, try not to waste time and treat the spot with carpet cleaner right away. And if you have a high pile carpet it becomes somewhat difficult, do use a considerable amount of liquid on the strain.
- Make room before cleaning the rug. Wear a mask when you shake the carpet or rug outside your house. Make sure you have waited for enough till the dust in the air settles down. Then start to vacuum.
- Keep the vacuum accessories and attachments at hand and use each of them as per the requirements. Using a single brush or nozzle for every narrow place will not let you have a deep clean so keep experimenting with your vacuuming.
- Try to wear an apron and face mask while vacuum cleaning the carpets. This way you can prevent getting dust. Moreover, if you are an allergen to dust it will keep you safe.
If you know how to vacuum a rug, it becomes more like a fun task. All the above-mentioned points will prove to be very helpful especially when you are expecting a deep cleaning session. The points are trusted by many vacuum users and therefore you can adapt according to your need. Hope you have a perfect vacuum clean next time!